Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Galdos 5th; Antón 10th


Euskaltel placed two riders in the top-10 of today`s second stage of the Vuelta a Castilla y León. Aitor Galdos took 5th, while Igor Antón grabbed a surprising 10th. An eight-man break got away, but were never close to succeeding, as the peloton, led by Caisse d`Epargne, Euskaltel and Benfica, never let the break`s advantage get over 3 minutes. The break was reeled in with 15 km to go, and a bunch-sprint was inevitable. Euskaltel had their hopes pinned on Aitor, who was one of the favourites today. Aitor only partly delivered, grabbing 5th. Igor got 10th, while the rest of the Euskaltel guys, with the exception of Andoni Aranaga and Andoni Lafuente, came in with the peloton. The two Andonis came in 6:06 adrift, as a result of their hard work at the front of the pack earlier. Though a 5th place isn`t bad, Aitor was far from pleased with his result today. This is what he said to www.fundacioneuskadi.com straight after the finish: "I`m not content with my sprint today. I thought that I had better legs, but I wasn`t able to fight for the win. When I started, Ventoso and Benitez flew by me. Let`s hope I`m better tomorrow, as I`ve been close and my form is coming along".

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers