Thursday, March 15, 2007

Samu 11th in Paris-Nice


In today`s fourth and hilly stage of the Paris-Nice, Samu Sánchez placed a good 11th. The stage ended with a 3 km steep ascent, where Alberto Contador proved the strongest. Though, Samu also seemed really strong, loosing only 40 seconds. That means Samu is now ranked 10th on GC, with another three stages to go. Gorka Verdugo also impressed today, coming in 40th, only 1:33 behind. Further on, Mikel Astarloza took 54th, 2:24 behind, Rúben Perez was 62nd, 3:20 behind, Markel Irizar was 79th, 5:07 behind, and Ivan Velasco, Andoni Aranaga and Alan Pérez were 9:12 behind.


After the stage, Samu spoke to www.fundacioneuskadi.com. Here`s what he had to say: "I`m pleased. I`ve been well, though I needed a little extra if I were to contest the stage, but I`ve had good sensations. Alberto Contador is in marvellous form, as he already demonstrated on the Campello in Valencia. As for me, I follow the same line as last season. I`m better, and in a race of such calibre I`ve been among the strongest. The next days the goal will be to win a stage. The overall is difficult, though I won`t discard it, but the realistic thing now would be to go for a stage-win. I`m pleased with being so far ahead on GC, but it`ll be difficult to advance. The team is riding well, so we can look for wins from breaks and even from attacks at the end. It`ll be difficult to repeat last year, when I finished 4th overall, but a stage-win is more important".

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers