Monday, November 14, 2011

Cabedo set for debut season















Víctor Cabedo might be a relative unknown to most, but the 22-year-old is intent on making waves in the Euskaltel jersey next year in his first season among the pros. The youngster will make the step up into the big league after just a single - though highly successful - season in the Orbea ranks. Talking to Iban Mayo Blog yesterday, the Vuelta a Asturias stage-winner seemed slightly surprised at being 'promoted' so quickly.

"To be honest, I've wanted to join Euskaltel ever since I joined Orbea", he said. "And I'm not really surprised I made it, but spending just a year at Orbea was unexpected. I penned a two-year deal with the team, and I'll look to continue to mature as a cyclist next year".

DEIA journo Alain Laiseka is confident Cabedo will make it at Euskaltel, saying he's got the work ethic and engine needed to forge a successful career at the highest level.

"He's got a big future ahead of him - he's got a big motor. He was incredible at Orbea last year: he won a stage in the Vuelta a Asturias solo and was so strong in Amorebieta, Almería and so on. He's a great rider: he works hard and is a model professional", Laiseka told Iban Mayo Blog.

Despite seeming to excel in one-day races and on flat or mildly lumpy terrain, Cabedo is keen to prove himself in stage-racing. If he gets his wish, he'll get the chance to impress in a few high-profile stage-races already next year.

"I'm more attracted to three-week racing if I'm honest, but seeing as I'm still only 22 I'm not ruling out anything. I've got a lot to learn, so the next few years will likely show where I'm able to perform. Next year's schedule isn't set yet, but I'd love to do some one-week races like Paris-Nice, Tirreno-Adriatico or Volta a Catalunya. But most of all I'm aiming to continue my progression".

Víctor Cabedo is one of a trio of Orbea riders making the move to Euskaltel in 2012: Ricardo García and Adrián Sáez will also make the jump.

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers