Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Euskaltel update

I haven`t been able to post updates and news on Euskaltel as often as I would have liked, and should, these last few days. As you all know by now I`m on vacation, so my internet connection is rather limited as for now. Though, here`s what`s been going on with the Basque warriors since the Tour concluded.

Haimar will do the Vuelta a España in September. He and Samu, and perhaps also Igor, will spearhead Euskaltel`s chase for glory on home soil, though what Haimar`s objectives are I don`t know. I guess he won`t be in top, top shape, as he did the Tour recently, but expect Haimar to be on his consistent best; or at least close then I guess. More on the Vuelta later.

Tour hero and climbing prodigy Amets Txurruka has revealed his two next appointments. Amets will do the one-day climbing show piece Subida Urkiola, which Iban won last year, on the 12th of August, before heading for the 5-day Vuelta a Burgos on the 14th. If he`s managed to maintain his Tour form, I reckon he should be rated as one of the favourites for both races. Aupa Amets!

The Circuito de Getxo-Memorial Ricardo Otxoa was held today, but info has been hard to find on the race. The only thing I know is that a 28-man strong group got to fight it out for the win, and that Beñat Albizuri got a good 10th place on the day. Koldo was right behind him in 14th. Further down I find Iban Mayoz in 26th place, Andoni Aranaga in 38th place, only 7 seconds back, while Alán Pérez placed 53rd, Andoni Lafuente 86th, Lander Aperribay 87th, Aitor Galdos 92nd, Iban Iriondo was 93rd while Unai was 95th. Good stuff from Beñat, but a little disappointing from the rest I guess.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forget Mayo at place 26 :D

Anonymous said...

good thing you will keep up blogging, this way the euskaltel community (and the mayo fanbase) will be strong and diverse (people from norway, denmark, belgium,...). I will link you, and the other euskaltelbloggers to my website. (that is when the website will be relaunched (new layout, system, more informations,...)).
Thanking you for you're efforts :)


P.S.: hi arnout :D recognize me?

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know why Anton did not finish the tour?

simenk said...

I don't know. I think he droped out during the 11th stage. And at that point he was already over an hour behind Rasmussen. So it seems like he has had a fall and had struggeled for some days before he retreated. But that's just my theori, I don't know the facts. Can't find anything googling it.

What do you guys think about Sanchez, Anton and Zubeldia's chances in the Vuelta?

I can't wait to see who's still there when the mountains are starting to raise. Hopefully Anton has grown since last year and we can expect him to be up there in the overall standing. Does anyone know anything about his TT-skills?

I'm siting here, crossing my fingers hoping for the B-sample to be negative, so we can se our climbing happy spaniol from Saunier Duval as well in the Vuelta. But what are the odds? I'm afraid my hopes will be cruched quite soon. Too bad:(

simenk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
simenk said...

Nice too se that the NRK have gotten their eyes up about your blogg. nice work!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

sorry, meant to post Haimar - «La Clásica será un homenaje para la gente que nos apoya»
http://canales.diariovasco.com/clasica-sansebastian/noticias/noticia010807_1.html

Magnus said...

According to L`Equipe, Igor pulled out of the Tour due to some sort of sickness. And, his TT skills are coming on in leaps and bounds. He`s certainly improved this year, so I`m hoping for a top 10 overall at the Vuelta.

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers