Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Martínez ready to kick-start season















Egoi Martínez will get his first feel of competition later this week as he spearheads Euskaltel's Volta ao Algarve charge.

The Portuguese stage-race, running Thursday through Sunday this week, will see eight Euskaltel riders on show and, as is becoming increasingly normal by now, a host of nationalities donning the orange jersey. Veteran Martínez, who enjoyed a stellar 2012 season, will be back in action for the first time this year, and will lead the following team:
  • Aberasturi, Jon
  • Azanza, Jorge
  • Garía, Ricardo
  • Kocjan, Jure
  • Martínez, Egoi
  • Mestre, Ricardo
  • Minguez, Miguel
  • Radochla, Steffen
It'll naturally be a special occasion for Portuguese recruit Mestre, who'll be looking to shine on home roads.

"I'm very eager to compete in the region I've ridden my bike since I was a kid, dressed in a jersey of such a great WorldTour team as Euskaltel", he told the team's website. "I'm from Castro-Marin and I've grown as a cyclist on these roads, so to ride the Volta ao Algarve for Euskaltel is an honour".

Mestre showed flashes of form while representing his national team recently, taking eighth in a domestic one-day race, but is adamant he's not in the necessary shape to chase top results for himself.

"Though my form is improving gradually, I'm not in the shape to dispute the race", he explained. "I'll try to help my team as much as possible and be as far ahead as I can".

Photo: Iñaki Azanza

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers