The Argentinian national team put the young Basques to the sword in Amurrio, Álava, on Saturday.
The Torneo Euskaldun race, also counting as the regional championships, saw the Argentines double up with the victory of 24-year-old Sebastián José Tolosa, already a stage winner in the Tour of Uruguay this season, and the runner-up spot for Víctor Gabriel Gómez.
The last man on the podium, and the first sub-23 rider across the line, was Seguros Bilbao's Pamplona-born prodigy Sergio Rodríguez. The race, held over 122 clicks, came down to a bunch sprint after numerous break attempts never really managed to establish themselves, and the South Americans had way too much in the tank for the domestic riders.
Cyclo-cross star Javier Ruís de Larrinaga (Lizarte) was crowned elite national champion, while Aitor Rey (Seguros Bilbao) came away with the sub-23 crown. Seguros Bilbao also took out the team win.
Debabarrena's Borja Abásolo continues to head up the overall standings.
- Sebastián Tolosa (Argentina), 2:12:48
- Víctor Gabriel Gómez (Argentina), s.t.
- Sergio Rodríguez (Seguros Bilbao), s.t. - 1st sub-23
- Pello Olaberria (Ikolan Lanaldi Ordiziako), s.t.
- Imanol Díaz (Seguros Bilbao), s.t.
- Eder Gómez (Ikolan Lanaldi Ordiziako), s.t.
- Mikel Hernández (Debabarrena), s.t.
- Jon Iriarte (Gipuzkoa-Eki Sport), s.t.
- Ángel Lorenzo (Opel Ibaigane), s.t.
- Loïc Chetout (Naturgas Energía), s.t.