Antton Ibarguren beat some of the best time triallists on the Basque amateur scene on his way to victory in the Subida a Altzo on Wednesday.
The Telco'm rider emerged the strongest in the 5,2km hill time trial, edging noted specialist Jon Ander Insausti (third last year) into second by seven seconds and Naturgas Energía's highly promising Óscar González del Campo into third.
While Ibarguren's win was impressive, it was not close to beating the record up the hill. The 24-year-old needed eight minutes and 12 seconds. That's 23 seconds shy of record holder Gaizka Lejarreta's time ten years ago. He bested last year's triumphant, Arkaitz Durán, though, who posted 8:16 at the top.
Results (full results at BiciCiclismo):
- 1, Antton Ibarguren (Telco'm), 8:12
- 2, Jon Ander Insausti (Caja Rural), 8:19
- 3, Óscar González (Naturgas Energía), 8:26
- 4, Aitor González (Lizarte), 8:33
- 5, Joseba del Barrio (Gipuzkoa-Eki Sport), 8:35
Photo: Team Caja Rural