Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Nieve confirms contract extension











Mikel Nieve has confirmed he's prolonged his contract with Euskaltel through 2015.

Reports this summer reported the ace climber had done exactly that, and the 27-year-old has now told BiciCiclismo that he'll stay orange for at least another couple of years. Rumours circulated that the double Grand Tour stage winner had been courted by both Movistar and Saxo-Tinkoff during the summer, and the native of Leitza, Navarra, affirmed teams had been in touch.

"Yes, there were interest from other teams", he said. "Others being interested in me is a compliment, meaning I'm doing well. But the first thing I did was to talk to the team. I'm very at home here, with my local team. (Prolonging) gives me security and tranquility to prepare for my objectives without any distractions".

One of those objectives, or rather the objective, will of course be the Tour de France. The former Orbea rider will look to add a top ten overall in the Tour to complete his collection of Grand Tour top tens, but is under no illusions it will be straightforward.

"I want to try the Tour after two Giros and two Vueltas. The Tour has always been the biggest race, and I want to see what it's like and try to reach Paris.

"A place in the top ten? That will be difficult. Winning a stage? Likewise. But if I'm at the top of my game, why not? And with a little luck I can fight for a stage win".

Photo: www.revolutio.es

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers