Saturday, June 25, 2011

Castroviejo grabs silver in TT champs















Jonathan Castroviejo showed what a massive talent he is by taking silver in the Spanish National Champs ITT yesterday. The Getxo native edged no less a rider than a certain Alberto Contador to take second spot on the podium, but there was nothing he could do to surpass a flying LL Sánchez who got around the 44,5km course a full minute faster than the Euskaltel youngster. Gorka Izagirre rode strongly to place seventh, whilst Orbea pair Cabedo and García ended up 11th and 14th respectively. Contrary to what was reported on this site on Friday, Daniel Sesma and Aritz Etxebarria did not take the start. The duo figured on the start list a couple of days ago, but for some reason they were not to be seen.

"I'm happy with silver", he confided to the team's website after the podium ceremony. "My form was an unknown going into the race after my Tour de Suisse was hampered by a knee injury, so I didn't really know how I'd do. Luis León did a great race and all I can do is to congratulate him. I felt strong and second place is nice. I finished ahead of Contador, who wins almost every time trial he participates in. Above all I'm happy to see I'm progressing in a modality I've always fancied my chances in".

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers