Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Gorka Izagirre bids Tour de France farewell














Gorka Izagirre did not start Wednesday's individual time trial and has consequently abandoned the Tour de France.

The eldest of the brothers, a veteran of three Tours, has been struggling with a fever and flu-like symptoms for days, and opted out of taking on the 32km ITT from Embrun to Chorges.

"It's so hard to leave the Tour, but it's a very hard race. I couldn't keep going like this", he told the team's official website. "I've had two very bad days, with a fever, suffering a lot... I had hoped to turn it around and recover, but the Tour is unforgiving.

"I think the best thing is to stop and recover - I couldn't have done much in this state anyway. It's tough to abandon, but it's also hard to keep riding without being able to help the team".

With Izagirre posting a DNF, the team is down to eight riders.

Photo: BCPT

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers