Loïc Chetout put his fast-finishing legs to good use in Urduliz, Biscay, on Sunday, taking his fifth win of the season.
The Naturgas Energía rider, set to temporarily switch the red and white for Equipo Euskadi's red, white and green attire at the Tour du Gévaudan later this month, bested Cafés Baqué-Conservas Campos' impressive Antonio Angulo (a recent victor in Lekeitio) and Gopar-Ikolan's on-song Peio Olaberria to the top gong in Urduliz.
His team-mate Alain González headed up the overall Torneo Lehendakari standings prior to the race, and the speedy youngster did his chances of taking home the crown come the end of the season no harm by claiming sixth.
No single rider was successful in breaking clear of the pack on the 106,4km parcours, leading to a sprint finish in which Chetout emerged victorious. Last year's victor, Caja Rural's Antonio Molina, had to make do with fourth.
- Loïc Chetout (Naturgas Energía)
- Antonio Angulo (Cafés Baqué-Conservas Campos)
- Peio Olaberria (Gopar-Ikolan)
- Antonio Molina (Caja Rural)
- Imanol Díaz (Seguros Bilbao)
- Alain González (Naturgas Energía)
- Egoitz Fernández (Seguros Bilbao)
- Jesús Alberto Rubio (Caja Rural)
- Jaime Rosón (Caja Rural)
- Eneko Lizarralde (Gipuzkoa-Eki Sport)
Photo: Iñaki Azanza