Thursday, March 13, 2008

Not the best of days

It was not a noteworthy day for Euskaltel in Tirreno and Paris-Nice today. In Paris-Nice, Igor was the best placed rider in 21st place, closely followed by Gorka in 22nd. In Tirreno though, it was a lot worse. The best rider was Juanjo in 45th.

The mythical Mont Ventoux was on the menu for the riders in Paris-Nice today. My expectations were high given Igor and Gorka's good form of late, and I was also expecting to see Haimar back in the action. It wasn't a total failure by any means, but it'd be fair to say I was a little disappointed after the race. Igor and Gorka came in with the same group, 2:18 down on winner Evans, meaning that Gorka is now an excellent 7th overall. Igor is 13th overall, and, even though I didn't get to see the stage, I assume he did a lot of work for Gorka today. Haimar, who seems to have lost his excellent form overnight, was nowhere to be seen, coming in 4:09 back. Dioni was next, 8:58 down, while Aitor finished 15:09 back. Aitor has not been riding as well as I had hoped he would, but, hey, there's still some stages left for him to leave a mark. Markel and Lander came in with a big group 18:28 adrift.

Not much to say about today's 2nd stage of the Tirreno-Adriatico. Juanjo and Iñigo performed reasonably well, coming in with a big group a minute and six seconds down on surprise-winner Illiano. Egoi, Alán, Rubén and Aitor Galdos came in with another big group, some 8 minutes down, while Javier crossed the line another four minutes later. Antton sadly had to drop out today. I don't know why, if it's down to injuries or illness or something, but I'll let you know once I find out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Igor spent most of the day on the Ventoux hanging off the back of the group. Gorka was by far the best EE rider.

Anonymous said...

c'mon wahat do you expect???????
gorka isn't the rider who wins on the ventoux!!
it was an ok day and in the end they came home with big riders like ll sanchez, gorka is more for hilly terrain, and igor isn't in form this early

Anonymous said...

I just like the valuable information you supply to your articles.
I'll bookmark your blog and take a look at again right here frequently. I'm quite certain I'll be informed many new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the next!

my website: read the source

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers