Loïc Chetout had to hand over his overall leader's jersey to Marcos Altur at the end of the Vuelta al Bidasoa's second stage on Thursday afternoon.
The stage was taken out by Russian powerhouse Vadim Zhuravlev, the Lokosphinx rider soloing to the line in Doneztebe two seconds ahead of the new leader. Third, at six seconds, was Basque Iñigo Ojeda of Cafés Baqué-Conservas Campos.
Chetout could only muster 11th on the day, coming in with a big group at 24 seconds, but is still very much in overall contention. Heading into the last two stages, the Naturgas Energía Frenchman is seventh at 22 seconds.
Results (full results here):
- 1, Vadim Zhuravlev (Lokosphinx), 2:56:05
- 2, Marcos Altur (Gsport-Valencia Terra i Mar), 0:02
- 3, Iñijo Ojeda (Cafés Baqué-Conservas Campos), 0:06
- 4, Santiago Ramírez (Lizarte), 0:14
- 5, Paul Usabel (Cafés Baqué-Conservas Campos), 0:24
- 6, Davide Martinelli (Debabarrena), s.t.
- 7, Alexander Vdovin (Lokosphinx), s.t.
- 8, Unai Intziarte (Gipuzkoa-Eki Sport), s.t.
- 9, Beñat Txoperena (Gipuzkoa-Eki Sport), s.t.
- 10, Sergey Vdovin (Lokosphinx), s.t.
Photo: Iñaki Azanza