Ibai Daboz secured a popular home win when he soloed to glory on the third stage of the Vuelta al Bidasoa on Friday.
The Gipuzkoa-Eki Sport rider has consistently been up there all year and today grabbed the biggest win of his budding career by crossing the line in Hondarribia nine seconds ahead of a select group lead home by a trio of Naturgas Energía riders.
In that select group was overnight leader Marcos Altur who thus hung on to his overall lead ahead of Saturday's decider.
The stage took in the famed Jaizkíbel, but the tough climb didn't separate the overall contenders a great deal. Heading into tomorrow's final leg, 17 riders are within 31 seconds of Altur's lead.
Results (full results here):
- 1, Ibai Daboz (Gipuzkoa-Eki Sport), 3:00:30
- 2, Loïc Chetout (Naturgas Energía), 0:09
- 3, Alain González (Naturgas Energía), s.t.
- 4, Imanol Estévez (Naturgas Energía), s.t.
- 5, Fernando Grijalba (Caja Rural), s.t.
- 6, Martin Lestido (Supermercados Froiz), s.t.
- 7, Santiago Ramírez (Lizarte), s.t.
- 8, Adrián González (Ibaigane Opel), s.t.
- 9, Beñat Txoperena (Gipuzkoa-Eki Sport), s.t.
- 10, Mario González (Cafés Baqué-Conservas Campos), s.t.
Photo: Fundación Ciclista Euskadi