Jon Larrinaga took the first victory of his budding professional career in Friday's second stage of the Tour de Gironde.
Larringa enjoyed a breakthrough third year with Naturgas Energía last season, and was duly rewarded with a chance in the big league in 2013. Today he showed the sports directors at Equipo Euskadi were right to trust him as he claimed a classy win on day two in Gironde.
The 22-year-old crossed the line alone, arms aloft, 20 seconds ahead of the nearest challengers to not only win the stage, but also take inherit the leader's jersey from stage 1 victor and overnight yellow jersey Maarten van Trijp.
To close out a superb day for Aritz Arberas' charges, Unai Iparraguirre grabbed fifth in the sprint for second.
Results (full results here):
- 1, Jon Larrinaga (Euskadi), 4:00:9
- (2, Sylvain Pandele (GSC Blagnac), 0:19
- (3, Johim Ariesen (Cyclingteam Jo Piels), s.t.
- 5, Unai Iparraguirre (Euskadi), s.t.
- 28, Igor Merino (Euskadi), s.t.
- 39, Illart Zuazubiskar (Euskadi), s.t.
- 45, Aritz Bagües (Euskadi), s.t.