Basque sub-23 time trial champion Jon Ander Insausti was the Basque Country's top rider in Thursday's national champs in Bembibre in Castilla y León.
The Caja Rural prodigy came in fifth in the 21,8km race against the clock won by his trade team companion Alberto Just. Reigning champion Marcos Jurado of Seguros Bilbao came in second, while Cafés Baqué-Conservas Campos rider Mario González, this year's Vuelta al Bidasoa conqueror, rounded out the podium.
Peio Goikoetxea was Team Euskadi's next best rider in seventh, while Ibai Daboz ended up 13th.
Álvaro Trueba of Naturgas Energía ended up ninth.
Results (full results here):
- 1, Alberto Just (Aragón), 28:33
- 2, Marcos Jurado (Castilla-La Mancha), 0:08
- 3, Mario González (Cantabria), 0:19
- 4, Arnau Solé (Catalunya), 0:23
- 5, Jon Ander Insausti (Euskadi), 0.24