Cyclo-cross specialist Jonathan Lastra showed his versatility once again on Saturday, leaving the road hopefuls behind in the San Juan Sari Nagusia in Segura on Saturday, a race of the Euskaldun series.
The young man from Bilbao recently took out the Euskadi championships in mountain biking as he continues to build for the 'cross season, and yesterday showed his big engine by besting quite the stellar field.
According to the Basque Cycling Federation, Lastra attacked in the closing clicks and was able to catch and pass a seven-man move that had gone clear earlier on. He got company from Borja Abasolo and Joseba Del Barrio, two of the strongest riders on the local scene, but had no trouble edging them in the sprint for the line.
His team-mate and fellow 'crosser, Egoitz Murgoitio, also stayed close to the action and ended up 12th.
- Jonathan Lastra (Hirumet Taldea) 2:48:09
- Borja Abasolo (Debabarrena) s.t.
- Joseba Del Barrio (Eki Sport Gipuzkoa) s.t.
- Juan Martin Mesa (Reyno de Navarra) 0:04
- Antonio Molina (Caja Rural) s.t.
- Eddy Valdespino (Opel Ibaigane) s.t.
- Rafael Márquez (Lizarte) 0:16
- Miquel Lopezosa (Debabarrena) 0:25
- Daniel Ginés (Controlpack) 0:34
- Adrián Trujillo (Talavera Club Ciclista) s.t.