Sunday, March 25, 2012

"This will give the team a break"













Samu Sánchez's classy solo win in the Volta a Catalunya on Saturday was the team's very first victory of the 2012 season. Speaking post-race, the team captain was happy to finally have ended the barren spell.

"The WorldTour is becoming more and more demanding, and for our team it's increasingly hard to win. Hopefully this win will give the team a break ahead of the Vuelta al País Vasco", he told www.fundacioneuskadi.com.

"The last climb did more damage than expected. At times it was crazy out there, and nobody were able to organize a train for the sprint. I went for broke on the descent and risked more than I had planned in order to come home first. In the end I succeeded though, and I bagged an emotional triumph."

Samu experienced what he calls his "biggest fall ever" on day three as he ran into a car, but has since then gradually crept up the GC ladder. Ahead of Sunday's final stage into Barcelona, he's second. Going for the win though is out of the question.

"I'll try to defend my overall placing tomorrow", he stated. "Winning the race outright is impossible, and a lot of riders will be aiming to move up on GC.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

YES!!!

Now let the floodgates open...

arnout said...

I wouldn't hold my breath :D

It seems Samu is in good form, hopefully he can really go for a GC win in the Basque country for a change.

Magnus said...

He looks stronger than I've seen him the last few years at this time of year. But so too does Valverde...

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers